Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Grandpa

Yesterday was hard.  It was the first day of school, which wasn't too bad because it is my last semester and I only have one class a day pretty much.  What made the day hard was that it has been a year since my sweet Grandpa died.

I've grown up with my grandparents less than 30 minutes away my whole life.  I know everybody thinks this, but my grandparents are really the best out there.  As little kids we would have our own private birthday weekends with grandma and grandpa.  At family gatherings the kids would play in the beautiful cottage built for the grandkids, swim in the sparkling pool, and get to feed and ride the strong horses.

My grandparents' story is incredible.  They fell in love in small-town southern utah, married at 15, had children at 18 and have loved each other more deeply than any other couple I've seen since.  Watching how my Grandpa always treated my Grandma was what made him my ultimate hero and example growing up.  In all the time we spent over there, not only did I never see him get angry with her, but he was always by her side, serving her.

One story that is engrained in my mind, however small and silly, is the perfect example of how sweet and caring he was.  My sister and I were at my grandparents' house the day before Thanksgiving helping (more like getting in the way) to prepare the turkey for the following day.  Grandma had sent Grandpa to get some cranberries for her famously delicious cranberry sauce along with various other groceries.  He happily agreed, and set of to the store.  When he returned and started unloading the groceries my grandma kindly pointed out he had forgotten the cranberries.  Without a moment's hesitation, my Grandpa sincerely apologized, kissed her cheek and set out once again to get the cranberries.

I miss my Grandpa so much.  It makes me cry that I have no pictures with him from my wedding after he worked so hard while being so sick to make the garden beautiful for our wedding.  That is how he was... never complained about the pain and agony he was in, while tirelessly serving those around him. It makes me cry that he wont be able to hold our future children, and have that proud look in his eye that I've seen when he held my siblings children so many times.

Then, I have to smile remembering all the things I did get to do with my Grandpa.  I got to help crank the rickety old ice cream maker on Christmas Eve after our nativity reinactment.  I got to ride the horses while he watched carefully to make sure I never got hurt.  He was able to come to some of my gymnastics meets, even though he hated the crowds.  I am so glad that he doesn't have to be suffering from the cancer any more, and that he is no longer in so much agony.  I was able to live so close to him most of my life and observe this truly amazing man.  Although he didn't attend church very often, my grandpa was one of the most Christlike people I've ever met.

I'm so grateful for the time I was able to spend with my Grandpa, and for the lessons I've learned from him.  Miss you grandpa, you'll always be my hero!








Making ice cream on Christmas Eve.







3 comments:

allegra said...

so sweet, Nattie. He loved you and was so proud of the amazing girl you are! He always loved your gymnastics and being so supportive. I miss him too. He might not get to physically hold your future children, but it's special that he'll be smiling down looking at them always, even being a guardian angel to them...

It makes me sad that we didn't get a pic with him at your wedding. I feel sooooo AWFUL. I am so so sorry and am teary. I looked for him but couldn't ever find him. I guess he had went inside to lay down because he was really sick?, and with the hustle and bustle of everything going on outside, we should have just taken a break to go inside and snap an indoor pic of the two of you.

It's hard trying to be a bridesmaid, help mom set up stuff, take care of your young kids at the wedding, greet the guests who you know, and be one of the photographers trying to capture everything too..

allegra said...

I think he was extra sick and tired, too....from the long walk Nick took him on to see the horses....

Natalie said...

Its not your fault at all legs... thats not what I meant at all. its just a crazy day and whatnot and it was overlooked.

its not even a big deal, I know he was there and you can see a little bit of him in our wedding video so thats good.